City of Doraville
The City of Doraville is seeking a Senior Planner in the Community Development Department. This position is a unique opportunity to play a critical role in a small community that is experiencing an unprecedented level of development and redevelopment. Under direction, the successful candidate will perform a variety of municipal professional planning activities including: detailed review and analysis of applications for rezoning, variances, and conditional use permits, site plan and subdivision reviews, pre-submission meetings with applicants, report writing, data collection, research, field studies, site investigations and public presentations; drafting of zoning ordinance amendments and other legislation, master plan updates, neighborhood planning studies; and preparation of maps (using GIS), graphs and charts. The ideal candidate has a key understanding of urban design, zoning/land use and transportation issues, and experience in GIS mapping. Outstanding written/oral communication, technical, analytical, and organizational skills are critical to the success of this position. The successful candidate will be friendly, enthusiastic and energetic, follow-through and complete assigned tasks, and have the ability to work independently and also collaboratively with other staff, the community, various stakeholders and elected officials.
This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Knowledge of: GIS, MS Office, photoshop/illustrator software programs to prepare maps, graphics and reports; spreadsheets, and databases to help visualize and present design projects; planning and zoning, economic development and related principles, methodologies, processes and practices; urban planning research methodology, including field inspections, computer and electronic searches, and archive and file searches; principles and practices of developmental design and engineering, including architecture, engineering, landscape architecture, site design and development, traffic engineering and impacts and land use compatibility.
- Skill in: oral/written communication and interpersonal relationships to communicate effectively to the public, citizen/community groups, developers, elected officials and other employees; creative problem-solving to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems.
- Ability to: read and interpret city master plans, regulatory codes, technical and operational documents, reports, research material and information, blueprints and maps; analyze applications and apply relevant regulatory ordinances and codes; and prepare and present oral, written and graphic reports, documents, brochures and pamphlets, maps, and related planning and development documentation.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, urban design, architecture, engineering, public administration, public policy or related field and three (3) years of related experience is required.
Preferred Education and Experience
Master’s degree in urban planning, urban design, architecture, engineering, public administration, public policy or related field and one (1) years of related experience is required.
Licensures and Certifications
Required: Valid Georgia driver’s license
Preferred: American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- Must be able to work some evenings and occasional weekends.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background investigation, to include but not limited to, a physical examination with drug screening.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Employment with the City of Doraville is at-will in accordance with Georgia law.
The City of Doraville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on account of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, or political affiliation.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive Salary and Benefits, based on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Email Cover Letter and Resume to Ms. Karina Reyna, Personnel Coordinator
The selection process may include some or all the following objective assessments– review of experience and training, teleconference and/or in-person interviews, previous employer and character references, verification of educational degrees and social media reviews.