Lancaster County Government (Planning Department)
Lancaster, South Carolina
Lancaster County, South Carolina is one of the fastest growing counties in South Carolina and the Charlotte, NC Metropolitan Area. The County is currently undergoing a transformative process through the ongoing development of a new Comprehensive Plan and Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), which the planner will play a key role in. The Planning and Zoning Department is seeking a planner who is adept at working in a dynamic environment that includes both urban and rural planning elements. Working in the Planning and Zoning Department is a collaborative process that requires camaraderie with teammates.
The planner will manage and perform technical reviews of major residential and commercial development projects and rezonings, will administer and interpret development ordinances, and will mentor and/or supervise support staff. The planner will also be responsible for preparing staff reports and presenting reports before public bodies.
- Qualified candidates should possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Geography, or related field
- Minimum five-years of experience as a planner; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite is required.
- AICP certification and knowledge in the use of ESRI ArcMap is preferred.
- The planner will need significant knowledge and expertise in development review, managing rezoning processes, and overall UDO administration.
- The successful candidate should also demonstrate the ability to make decisions using innovation, creativity, and flexibility.
- A collaborative mindset and the ability to form effective relationships with internal and external customers is essential.
- Prior supervisory experience is preferred and may be used to distinguish a candidate from being considered at the Senior Planner or Assistant Planning Director level.
*The position may be filled at the Senior Planner or Deputy Planning Director level depending on the education and experience of the applicant.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply