Training & Outreach Coordinator
Georgia Department of Community Affairs
The Georgia Department of Community Affairs is seeking an Atlanta-based Training & Outreach Coordinator for its Community Development Team in the Office of Community Planning, Research, and Geoanalytics. Our office implements a variety of programs impacting city and county governments, regional commissions, local authorities, partner organizations, and internal clients. We administer the State’s requirements related to local and regional comprehensive planning, service delivery strategies, development impact fees, arbitration and filing of municipal annexation actions, and a number of other programs.
This position will work on a flexible, collaborative team and manage the office’s educational offerings and outreach functions. The programs managed by this position include: the PlanFirst program; Community Planning Success Stories and Best Practices; the Community Planning Institute (CPI); etc.
While it is not necessary for the candidate to be an expert in community planning or local government operations, this is not intended to be an entry-level position. The ideal candidate will have at least a few years working within or providing support to local governments in the execution of their work. Because the selected candidate will be a liaison between our program staffers and our primary partners (cities, counties, regional commissions, authorities), a background that provided an understanding of the needs and unique perspectives of local officials and their staffs will be very helpful in undertaking the assigned work programs.
Because of the outwardly focused nature of this position, automobile travel around the state (some of which will be overnight) will be sometimes be necessary
Candidates with any or all of the following characteristics will be best positioned for success in this role:
- Knowledge of Microsoft’s suite of office software
- Knowledge of online publishing and document production software
- Excellent research, writing, and presentation skills
- Skill in oral and written communication including a high level of comfort in public forums
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to interact with internal and external partners
- Attention to detail; excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative, and be a problem-solver
- Ability to work well on interdisciplinary project teams requiring flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- A background and/or strong interest in event planning/management
- Experience developing educational programs and conducting community outreach/engagement Conceptual familiarity with demographic and economic analysis, geospatial analytics, and relevant data/information gathering and management
- Knowledge of Georgia, its communities and regional commissions and the State’s processes and regulations related to local government management and operations (community planning, government finance, economic development, regulatory compliance, etc.)
Agency-Specific Minimum Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a related field from an accredited college or university AND
- One year of experience required at the lower level Prgm Consultant 1 (GSP090) OR any other combination of education and professional experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the job.
We will give preference to applicants who in addition to meeting the agency specific minimum qualifications possess at least one of the following:
- Master’s degree in City/Urban/Rural/Community/Regional Planning, Public Administration, Public Policy, or another directly related field.
- A relevant professional certification or eligibility for certification within three years; and/or,
- Three or more years of experience working within a local government, regional commission, local government, or consulting company serving these organizations in implementing the programs over which our office has oversight.
We will ask selected candidates selected for a writing sample prior to scheduling an interview. We may also ask selected candidates to conduct a short, educational presentation to DCA team members at a follow-up interview. Job candidates for this position will be subject to a criminal background check, educational degree check, reference checks, and (because travel is required) a motor vehicle records check prior to the extension of a job offer.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply