City of Atlanta Department of City Planning
The City of Atlanta Department of City Planning (DCP) is committed to implementing Atlanta City Design and transforming Atlanta into the best possible version of itself. Adopted into the city charter in December 2017, Atlanta City Design articulates an aspiration for the future city that Atlantans can fall in love with, knowing that if people love their city, they will make better decisions about it.
The Office of Design of the Department of City Planning provides leadership for the physical design of the city. It accomplishes this through the design of physical plans for the logical organization of our future city, creation of vibrant public spaces that cultivate public life, and architectural guidance, including preservation, of high-quality buildings that contribute to a cohesive public realm. This work is framed by Atlanta City Design and driven by the desire to design a city for everyone in the most inclusive way possible.
The Planning Studio of the Office of Design is responsible for leading the exceptional design of plans at all scales – from the entire city, to districts, neighborhoods, blocks, streets and buildings; these plans will ultimately inform better policies and practices to guide the physical and economic development of our rapidly growing city. These plans must thoughtfully and creatively consider how best to leverage infrastructure improvements to achieve desired patterns and densities of development, support new types and levels for diverse affordable housing options, and create opportunities for parks and other public spaces that reinforce the City’s physical identity while also addressing existing community needs.
The Urban Designer II for the Planning Studio of the Office of Design is responsible for supporting the design of the city’s plan, both in-house and with consultant teams. This work is done in close collaboration with the Office of Design’s other functional units – the Urban Design Studio (the Atlanta City Studio) and the Historic Preservation Studio – as well as other offices of the Department of City Planning, other City agencies, community members, and private sector partners.
This is an experienced, professional level capable of carrying out most assignments typical of the profession with limited guidance or review. This level would be considered a promotional level and attainable by any incumbents in a work group who demonstrate the necessary knowledge, ability, and performance.
- Engage in plan-making as a design process aimed at intentionally guiding the physical form of our city using Atlanta City Design as the concept for that design
- Work with a team of planners, designers, and other professionals to design the city’s plans, both in-house and with consultant teams
- Assist in developing new processes and methodologies by which the City develops its plans and, translates these into policy, and rapidly implements recommendations
- Collaborate closely with team members in other offices of the Department of City Planning as well as other departments within the City to ensure the City’s values, priorities, and interested and represented and reconciled in the plans we create
- Engage communities and neighborhoods in the design process in a meaningful way that productively informs design decisions including presentations, workshops, design charrettes, etc
- Define, analyze, and illustrate project issues and opportunities
- Collect relevant data, research case studies, and survey best practices and organize this information in a clear, concise format
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend innovative design and technical solutions that best meet project needs
- Develop planning and design concepts, technical solutions, graphics, and reports for projects including final project deliverables (reports, presentations, exhibits, etc)
Salary & Benefits
Full time position with benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply