City of Gainesville
Description of Job / Position
- Develops and maintains base maps and performs associated mapping functions using geographic information system (GIS) software and databases; analyzes and edits geographic data; performs GIS computerized mapping functions; and provides technical services and support.
- Assists the Community and Economic Development Director, Deputy Director and Neighborhood Development Manager with economic development, planning, housing, special projects and presentations. Coordinates and creates various location maps, special project maps and graphic design for zoning requests, historic preservation requests, housing and special studies.
- Assists with the comprehensive planning process and updating of the Unified Land Development Code.
- Assists with the analysis and creation of staff recommendation reports for zoning applications.
- Serves as the department liaison with Hall County for updates to GIS and permitting software.
- Create location maps for zoning applications, historic preservation applications and other requests as needed.
- Create special study maps and other project maps.
- Assist in the conceptual design of vacant properties as well as redevelopment sites.
- Assist with graphic art and design utilizing presentation software for public presentations.
- Assist with Comprehensive Land Use Plan, Neighborhood Master Plans and other special studies as needed.
- Assist with analysis and writing of staff recommendation reports, create and post zoning and historic preservation public notice signs.
- Assist with special planning studies.
- Review and approve plats.
- Provides updates to Hall County GIS/Addressing for annexation and zoning boundaries.
- Participates in meetings with public citizens, as well as private developers to complex and controversial issues.
- Answers questions in person or over the telephone. Provides general information regarding application procedures.
- Performs other related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Must have an accredited Associates degree in Graphic Design or a
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Design, City/Urban/Regional Planning, Architecture and/or Landscape Architecture.
- Must have 2-5 years urban design experience in a design office environment.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the qualifications stated above.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Class C Driver’s License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong urban design skills including: site planning, master planning for development, small area/community planning, mobility planning, campus planning, open space design (strong portfolio required for consideration).
- Must be comfortable in community and public settings and in collaborative design environments.
- Understand the needs of people who will be using the space you design; through research and analysis you will consider political, environmental, social, economic, spatial, psychological and physical factors.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, AutoCAD and/or Revit and Microsoft Office; PowerPoint, Prezi, ArcGIS is strongly recommended.
- Proficient with a variety of rendering, modeling and hand drawing techniques.
- Interest in Urban Design, Community Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Higher
- Education Campus Planning, sustainability and place-making.
- Ability to handle job stress, deadlines and interact effectively with others in the workplace is an essential function of the job.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of other City and County departments, as well as members of Boards and Commissions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Detail-oriented, design-focused, methodical, meticulous, process-oriented, yet open to change and motivated by innovation.
- Great collaborator and communicator – excellent verbal and written skills are important.
- Ambitious self-starter with get-it-done attitude who strives for results.
- Career oriented.
- Creative, passionate.
Salary & Benefits
$55,348.80 – $88,608.00 Annually
The City of Gainesville offers all full time employees with a wide range of benefits. Please click here to read about the benefits offered to employees.
How to Apply
Open until filled.