All appointed board and commission members (existing and new), local government staff, and elected officials should attend this training.
This is a solid introduction to the basics of what planning and zoning are.
You will learn:
- what the roles in the local government planning and zoning processes are (citizens, applicants, planning commission/planning commissioners, planning and zoning staff, and elected officials)
- what state laws are applicable to the work Planners and Zoners do
- what the job is and how to do the job
- how to interpret and use the city/county comprehensive plan to make land use decisions
- why the plan is the anchor of those decisions
- how to use the local ordinance and the plan to make the decisions
- how to plan for the future: demographic and land use trends as well as population projections and asset-based planning.
For more information: