- This event has passed.
World Town Planning Day
November 9, 2015 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The Georgia Tech Student Planning Association would like to officially invite you to be a part of World Town Planning Day 2015 on Nov 9 at 6:30pm in the College of Architecture Auditorium.
As we continue the tradition of hosting compelling panel discussions on timely and relevant planning issues in Atlanta, this year’s topic will ask “Who Owns the Streets?”
As Atlanta moves away from a principally car-focused orientation for its roads and looks towards more complete streets, how can planners and designers equitably distribute these physical spaces between different uses and users? Who should have the authority to make decisions about streets– the parties that own them, the current users that take advantage of them, potential future users, or the communities through which the roads run and often play a large part in defining? Moving in this direction, there does not seem to be an understood precedent on many of this issues, and this has been made clear through the clashes surrounding the addition of bike lanes, in conversations about transit priority, and even in the debate about painting rainbow crosswalks at intersections. Join us as we bring together traffic engineers, cyclists, and representatives from PEDS, MARTA, GDOT, and local communities in order to engage this vital discussion.
Join us as we bring together six expert panelists to participate in the discussion:
- Dr Timothy Crimmins, Georgia State University, Professor and Director of the Center for Neighborhood and Metropolitan Studies
- Jim Durrett, Buckhead Community Improvement District, Executive Director
- Sally Flocks, PEDS, Director and CEO
- Andrew Heath, Georgia Department of Transportation, State Traffic Engineer
- Becky Katz, City of Atlanta, Chief Bike Officer
- Katherine Kelley, Green Street Properties, President and CEO
- Janide Sidifall, MARTA, Senior Regional Planner
To find out more and to stay updated, join our Facebook event.
Email questions to Blake Reeves.